It is officially fall and the weather is cooling down. Nothing warms the body like a nice hot bowl of soup. However, did you know that soup provides many health benefits?
- Soup can be one of the most convenient ways to add vegetables to your daily diet.
- Certain soups such a cabbage soup are great for detoxing the body.
- Soups are excellent for weight loss. A bowl of soup has low calories and is very nutritious.
- Miso soup and other soups made with soy can actually help with lowering the risk of breast cancer.
- Vegetable soups are extremely beneficial. They provide a large amount of nutrients.
- Many soups that are made with beans and lean meats provide lean protein and fiber.
- They help to lessen cold and flu symptoms.
- Soup is very filling without a large amount of calories.
Try this soup recipe!
Lemony Chicken Soup
- 1 large onion – diced
- 2 c carrot – diced
- 3 c celery – diced
- 4 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 c chicken broth – low sodium
- 10 large sprigs parsley plus extra for garnish
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1 bag spinach
- 15 oz can chick peas – washed and drained
- Juice of ½ a lemon (or more to taste)
- Saute onions, carrot and celery in a latch Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat for 5-7 minutes. (use non-stick spray to save calories or olive oil works well too.)
- Add garlic, salt, pepper and cinnamon and continue cooking for additional minute.
- Stir in chicken broth and whole parsley sprigs then bring to a boil.
- Add raw, whole chicken breasts and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes at a low boil.
- Take one chicken breast out and cut in half to check for doneness. (Will take more or less depending on the thickness of chicken.)
- When chicken is cooked through, remove and place on a cutting board to cool.
- Begin shreddiing the chicken when it is cool enough to handle.
- Add shredded chicken back into the broth and veggies.
- Stir in spinach, chick peas and lemon juice.
- Cook until spinach is tender, about 5 additional minutes.
- Remove long parsley sprigs and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.