Strawberries provide the following health benefits:
- They are great source of vitamin C. One cup provides 100 percent of the recommended daily intake.
- Strawberries are high in fiber.
- The fruit contains a large amount of antioxidants.
Here are some healthy and delicious Strawberry recipes:
Strawberry Spinach Salad:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- one package (10 oz) fresh spinach (about 10 cups of torn leaves)
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries (cleaned and hulled)
- 1 cup avocado, chopped
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 mango, sliced
- 1/4 cup cashews( if desired)
1.In a medium bowl, combine the dressing ingredients, and whisk together well. Add salt and pepper to taste. You can serve the dressing immediately or you can cover it and chill for an hour.
2. In a large bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients, except the cashew nuts. Add the dressing to the salad and toss. Sprinkle cashew nuts on top of the salad.
Strawberry Shortcake( lighter recipe)
Combine strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar; cover and chill 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 400°.
To prepare shortcake, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (flour through baking soda) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Combine buttermilk and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist (dough will be sticky).
Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times with floured hands. Pat dough into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Brush top with egg white; sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar.
Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Carefully split shortcake in half horizontally using a serrated knife; cool layers separately on wire racks.
Place bottom half of shortcake, cut side up, on a serving plate. Drain strawberries, saving juice; drizzle juice over bottom half of shortcake. Spread 2 cups whipped topping over shortcake layer; arrange strawberries over whipped topping. Top with remaining shortcake layer, cut side down. Garnish with whipped topping and whole strawberry, if desired.
Strawberry and Mango Fruit Salad:
- 2 ½ cups sliced strawberries
- 2 mangoes, diced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp agave nectar or honey
- In a medium bowl, stir together the strawberries, mangoes, orange juice, lime zest and agave nectar (or honey).
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
Give these recipes a try!